- Professor of Primary Health Care Research, ANU since 2013.
- Professor of General Practice and Head of DepartmentPrimary and Community Care, Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 1985 – 2012.
- General Practitioner Community Health Centre Ommoord, Rotterdam, 1973 – 1985.
- PhD Erasmus University Rotterdam, 1981
- President World Organization of Family Doctors, Wonca, 2007 – 2010
- Did lead an academic practice based research network that collects research data for the research program, The Nijmegen Continuous Morbidity Registration / Monitoring Project
- Co-founder Nijmegen Centre 'Evidence Based medical Practice'
- Co-founder Netherlands School of Primary Care Research (CaRe)
- Co-developer of a community oriented undergraduate curriculum (introduced in 1995) in which primary care plays a leading role.
- Founder (1992) and until 2012 chair of the EU Erasmus exchange programme Primary Health Care in which medical students from 15 countries participate for clinical attachments and research electives in primary health care.
- Co-founder Brisbane Initiative, international primary health care research leaders program
- Officer Order of Oranje-Nassau, 2007
- Honorary Doctorate (Doctor Honoris Causa), University of Ghent, Belgium, 2003
- Honorary Fellow Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, 2007
- Honorary Fellow Royal College of General Practitioners, UK, 1991.
- Maurice Wood Award NAPCRG, 2008
Primary health care morbidity, long-term outcome of chronic diseases in family practice, in which 68 successfully completed PhDs were supervised.
- Bischoff EWMA, Akkermans R, Bourbeau J, van Weel C, Vercoulen JH, Schermer TRJ. Comprehensive self-management and routine monitoring in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients in general practice: randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2012: http://www.bmj.com/cgi/doi/10.1136/bmj.e7642
- Janssens HJ, Janssen M, Lisdonk EH van de, Riel PL van, Weel C van. Use of oral prednisolone or naproxen for the treatment of gout arthritis: a double-blind, randomised equivalence trial. Lancet 2008; 371:1854-1860.
- Janssens HJEM, Fransen J, van de Lisdonk EH, van Riel, PLCM, van Weel C, Janssen M. A Diagnostic Rule for Acute Gouty Arthritis in Primary Care Without Joint Fluid Analysis. Arch Intern Med 2010;170:1120-1126
- van Weel_C. Primary-care research to inform policy and implementation.Lancet, 2013; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)61445-2
- van Weel C, Van Weel-Baumgarten E, Van Rijswijk E. Treatment of depression in primary care. BMJ 2009;338:b934.
- Huber M, Knottnerus JA, Green L, van der Horst H, Jadad AR, Kromhout D, Leonard L, Jorig K, Laureiro MI, van der Meer JWM, Schnabel P, Smith R, van Weel C, Smid H. How should we define health? BMJ 2011; 343:d4163 doi:10.1136/bmj.d4163
- Maeseneer J de, Weel C van, Egilman D, Mfenyana K, Kaufman A, Sewankambo N. Strengthening primary care: addressing the disparity between vertical and horizontal investment. Br J Gen Pract 2008;58:3-4.
- Weel C van, Maeseneer J de, Roberts R. Integration of personal and community health care. Lancet 2008; 372: 871-872